Thursday, October 8, 2009

Rankings Rant

Another day, another rant. Let's see what's wrong with the Top 25 this week...

Riddle me this, selection committee: Why did Boise State move down and Virginia Tech move up? Look, I love my Hokies, but to say that they deserve to move up after beating Duke by 8 is quite silly. Sure, Duke is a 1-A opponent and Boise beat up UC Davis, a 1-AA foe, but that's hardly worthy of pushing them downward. Heck, the #1 team in the country has yet to play a ranked team! Also, the 1-A/1-AA argument is further invalidated by the fact that Duke lost to a 1-AA team earlier this season! Boise is, in my mind, still #5. I, however, do not get a vote, so that is really meaningless...

Further down, Cincinnati is #8 for reasons that I really can't determine. Yes, they're undefeated, but I'm not sure if their best win is Fresno State or Oregon State. Neither one is exactly a "signature" win.

Ohio State has played 1 good team, 4 bad ones, and has a 4-1 record. Miami has played 3 good teams, 1 bad one, and has a 3-1 record. Why is Ohio State ranked 2 spots higher?!

Honestly there's not too much wrong with the rest of the Top 25. Sure, there's some objections to teams with weak schedules taking up space, but with conference play really beginning in earnest this week, the best teams in their respective conferences will begin to rise to the top.

No comments: