Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Brief, halfhearted post follows...

The preview magazines are out. I fail to see any relevance these things have to reality. Last year Clemson was, and I quote (I can't remember the magazine that said this...I'm a bad semi-journalist), "the top team in a mediocre ACC."

My point in this little mini-post is simple: These magazines tell us practically nothing. Preseason rankings only serve to get people prepared for what should happen, not what does. Another example was #5 Michigan being upset by Appalachian State. Now, that was an upset. Still. I do not deny that. However, 2 years later, with Michigan 12-13 in the two seasons since that loss, it's fair to say that Michigan was not the 5th best team in the nation in 2007. So...let's not hail these preseason magazines as shining examples of utter brilliance. Not yet, at least...

No comments: