Monday, December 8, 2008

Saturday in Review: Conference Championship Edition

Nothing on the non-championship games this week. Do you really want another article on how much I hate Pete Carroll? Or how the PAC-10 is right down there with the Big East and ACC but you never hear how much they suck because (Omigosh!) that would require belittling the might of the USC Trojans?

No, you don't want to read that, and I don't want to write it. So let's move on, shall we?

#12 Ball State-21, Buffalo-42
This is like one of those new-wave sports movies where the lovable team loses in the championship game. I hate those sports movies. Imagine Remember the Titans with the Titans losing! Sorry, angry tangent there.

This one here, though, does suck. I really wish the Cardinals had pulled it off, but I think they'll still settle for the best season in school history. Aaaaaand that's about all I got. I didn't watch this game, can you tell?

#25 Virginia Tech-30, #17 Boston College-12
While winning a conference two straight years is certainly something to celebrate, I still don't think Virginia Tech needs to be in a BCS bowl (though they're playing Cincinnati, so cheers for that: 2 undeserving teams in the same bowl!). Still, hard to argue with results, and the Hokie defense looked very good against the Eagles. Then again, BC was working with a redshirt freshman QB, not Chris Crane.

The Eagles will be going to the Gator Bowl to play against Vanderbilt. A reminder to the Eagles: Despite the ACC beating itself up badly this year, the conference has a winning record against the SEC. Duke beat Vandy! So....we expect something good out of you! Call Matt Ryan, he can help. He can do anything...

#20 Missouri-21, #2 Oklahoma 62
Want my review of this game? Look at the dang score! There! There's your review!

Seriously, though, Oklahoma played its way into the national title game, and it'll be good to see them play against the winner of...(drum roll)

#1 Alabama-20, #4 Florida-31
A pretty darn good game by anyone's standards. For 3 straight years now an SEC team has gone to the national title game. It'll be interesting to see if they can win it 3 straight years. This blurb is short because, frankly, I failed you dear readers. I did not watch this game because (don't tell the other bloggers) I have a social life.

But enough about me...College Football Review's BOWL (P)REVIEW™ will be coming up soon! That's right, a sardonic, somewhat poorly written review of all 976 bowl games!

(NOTE: No, there's not that many, it just seems like it. I think my 4-7 high school team is bowl eligible this year)

No comments: